Friday, January 9, 2009

Moments in Real Estate


I thought I would add snippets or moments in my real estate experiences to add some humor and personal touches in a career that is mostly business and seriousness, most of the time, for me. Writing articles about real estate can get too stuffy and too serious. So, these snippets will be more real and lighter, added throughout.



The Week We had The Pile of Snow


I've lived in Washington State for over twenty-five years and this 2008 winter had the most snowfall in years, well in recent history anyway. There was madness for snow shovels but a dearth in all the hardware sections of every store! What were they thinking? Who forgot to order the shovels? Didn’t they watch the weather report? Well, maybe we all decided none of the weather reporters knew how to read the weather correctly or at the least we didn’t take them too seriously because they were wrong most of the time.


I didn't think I needed a shovel, until three days into and eight inches of snow later, by then it was too late. (Note, to those who live where snow is common, three inches of snow here (Redmond, Bellevue, Kirkland, Bothell, Sammamish, etc., also known as the Eastside versus Seattle) strikes fear into the masses and gleeful hurrahs from the school kids and anyone who dreads going to work. Imagine what it was like during eight plus inches of snow for a whopping week, a brick wall or in our case sledding down hills and valleys). However, I did have a flat head garden shovel which I used. I bought it for gardening because it was easy to handle and good looking. I know, silly. Hey, when I'm digging away I like to admire a beautiful tool, it's not a crime.


Shoveling the snow with it was like trying to run a 10K race at an inch worm's pace. Okay that was a stretch but it surely felt like it. It was SLOW work. In the same week, I was adamant about having open houses. Fortunately for me, a kind neighbor at the open house site had a garden shovel for my use. Guess what? It was the exact same model; imagine that, someone else thought it was cool too.


Instead of hosting the open houses inside I did the hosting of it outside by shoveling the snow off the driveway and talking to the neighbors, who by the way did come to my open house. We do what we can to peddle real estate even if it means shoveling the driveway for the neighborhood...can't say I would do it again or at least not with a garden shovel. It took forever!


Visit my website at www.nwabode.com for Tips and News.

No comments: